Saturday, June 18, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: CATCHING FIRE

Graceful Reads

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.
- From Goodreads
Title: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 391
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher:  Scholastic Press

This book made me SO angry when I read it. Many of the things that happened were really unfair, and several times I wanted to punch President Snow and the Peacemakers in their faces! I won’t go any deeper into that in case some of you haven’t read the book yet, but I’m sure you’ll feel the same at least once if you choose to read it.

In Catching Fire we learn more about the past to some of the previous victors of the Hunger Games, including Haymitch, which was really interesting. I always wondered how it was for Haymitch to be in the games. It was also nice to read more about the other characters, especially Cinna. He must be my favorite. I love all the costumes and dresses he makes, especially the last dress for Katniss. What he did with that one was so cool!

As I am a very patient reader, I don’t need a lot of action going on all the time. But in Catching Fire I felt there were parts that dragged on for too long. Several times I had to lay down the book for a few minutes and rest my head. Yes, there were a lot of interesting and important stuff that were discussed in this book, but at times it just got too much. It did have some very strong moments at times, though. Catching Fire never stopped surprising me with its twists and turns, and at the end my heart was beating so fast that I didn’t even notice when I flipped over to a new page. All in all I had a nice read, not the best, but it was still good.

RATING: 

4 comments:

  1. Haven't read anything from this series yet, but I like seeing what others think. Sounds like you had mixed feelings on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Catching Fire wasn’t as good as The Hunger Games unfortunately :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you have placed the book!
    :D
    Like it is something to be devoured!
    I loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire!
    Mockingjay not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks! :D That was EXACTLY what I wanted it to look like.

    ReplyDelete