Tuesday, June 14, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: THE HUNGER GAMES


Graceful Reads

Winning will make you famous. 
                                 Losing means certain death. 

In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed. 

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
  
- From Goodreads
Title: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 374
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Wow. What an intense start this trilogy has! The Hunger Games is the type of book you should read ONLY when you know you don’t have any other plans for the day. I’m serious. I was unfortunately foolish enough to start this book in a weekend when I was very busy, which I really regret. Suzanne Collins has this way of writing that makes you want to read chapter by chapter and never stop, and every time you tell yourself “I must stop when I’m done with this chapter”, something happens that makes it impossible not to read on. And how can you stop when the creation of the places and the characters (as well as the development) are so well done it all almost feels real!

Something I noticed while reading this book was how smoothly everything went. All of a sudden I was on page 100…200…and just like that I’d reached the end.  Usually when I read this much I need to lean back and relax for a minute because I get so tired in my head. But not with this book. To be honest, I barely noticed I was reading. You know that famous expression many use after they are done with a book? The: “OH! IT WAS JUST LIKE WATCHING A MOVIE! WOOOW!”? Well, it couldn’t fit any better for The Hunger Games.  

I must admit something... Although I obviously enjoyed reading this book, it did not live up to my expectations (which disappointed me a little). I’d thought after hearing so many positive things about it, The Hunger Games would become my new one true love. But it didn’t. I think I have myself to blame for that. After all this time my expectations got a bit too high. But who knows… Maybe I will grow to like it more after I’m done reading the whole trilogy?


RATING: 

5 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the book! I couldn't really get into it and ended up stopping in like the third chapter. I have been reading a lot of YA romance, so maybe in a few weeks or months I'll pick it back up and try again, and be able to get into it then.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm a new follower of yours:)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following :)
    I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get into the book. Maybe if you got to the part where the games starts you'd like it better? 12-18 year old kids hunting and killing each other may be a lot more fun to read about when you're tired of all the YA romance out there :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hunger games!!!! catching fire was ok.You shouldn't have very high expectations because mockingjay blew my mind(not in a good way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm weird when I read about how great a book was and I don't find it as wonderful as others do. :) I've heard a LOT of good things about this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. krazzyme: Yeah, I agree. Will be interesting to see how I feel about Mockingjay.

    J. L. Campbell: Haha! You're not weird at all! But I understand what you mean. When you hear a lot of good things about a book, you want to like it too so you can enjoy it as much as everyone else. But it’s always so disappointing when that doesn’t happen. You should give The Hunger Games a change, though ;)

    ReplyDelete