Monday, June 27, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: MOCKINGJAY

Graceful Reads

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.
- From Goodreads
Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 390
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Mockingjay was good… really good. So good that it became my favorite in the Hunger Games trilogy. Once I started reading it I could not stop. Twice I had to force myself to put down the book (which was not an easy thing to do). The first time because it was very late and I was so sleepy I didn’t understand what I was reading anymore. The second time because my neighbors started playing a very awkward country song  at full volume and unfortunately it didn’t work very well as a soundtrack to people getting their body parts blown away (Don’t worry. It’s not a spoiler. Suzanne Collins blows up people all the time).

It was really interesting to read about District 13 and how things worked down there. The schedule everyone has to follow on their arms, the soldier system and how protective and cautious they are over food. I also liked the new bows Katniss and Gale got. Those were badass and really fired up the action in the book. I must point out that Mockingjay had a wonderful balance between action and information. Also, the characters had such a great depth and development which made me more and more attached to them every time they made a presence.

There were some deaths in this book I felt could have been avoided. Yes, I understand that there’s a reason why Suzanne Collins killed them, but still, with so much build up throughout the story for the two of them, you’d think they would have survived. They were also way too short. I actually didn’t realize that one of them was dead until I got it thrown in my face many pages later. It was also a very cruel thing to do to the other characters. Oh my… Mockingjay really broke my heart.

I would give this book 5 stars if it wasn’t for the ending. Mockingjay was SO good until chapter 25. That’s where everything started to collapse. Although I was pleased with one thing that happened, the rest I felt was just ridiculous and confusing. To be honest, the ending felt unfinished, rushed and sloppy written. It was almost as if some chapters were missing. So many things where left unanswered, especially between two of the characters. But as I just said, all this happened at the end, so everything written before chapter 25 was just amazing! Absolutely worth the read!

RATING: 

1 comment: