Thursday, August 25, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: GONE


In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

- From Goodreads
Title: Gone (Gone #1)
Author: Michael Grant
Pages: 558
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher: Harper Teen

Many years ago I started slowly to realize my fondness for books and eventually I decided I wanted to read more than just the Harry Potter series. Of course at that time I had no knowledge of Goodreads or book bloggers, so the only help I could get was from good old Google. Searching in Norwegian doesn’t offer many good results, but eventually I discovered Gone by Michael Grant. A book about teens with special abilities such as teleportation, fire and strength etc. sounded perfect for me! Excited as I was, I hurried down to the closest bookstore to look for the book, but no matter how hard I looked I could not find it. Eventually I asked the people who worked there if they had the book, but unfortunately they didn’t. They hadn’t even heard about the author. I got the same answer from several other bookstores and eventually I gave up. With disappointment and defeat in my heart, I slowly forgot about books… until a couple of months ago. Finally I discovered book blogs, which led me to Goodreads, which led me to the long forgotten book Gone by Michael Grant, and gosh am I glad I found it again!

As mentioned in the summary, all the adults suddenly disappear leaving a bunch of children below 15 to take care of everything all by themselves. This might reduce some people’s eagerness to read Gone, but trust me when I say that this is not a children’s book. What I like about Michael Grant is that he’s not afraid to write about the brutal truth no matter how grotesque some of it might be. There’s bullying, kids that are beaten to death, babies rotting on the floor and much more. While you read the book you’ll understand that all of this is necessary to show how bad things have gotten in this new world. When there are no rules or adults around, it doesn’t take long before some kids lose their minds because of all the power and free will they suddenly have in their hands. I think Michael Grant did a very good job with the development of each character in this situation, both the good and bad guys. It was really interesting to see how emotions such as jealousy and fear could change you and make you take choices you never even knew you were able to do.

I still can’t grasp the fact that this book was 558 pages long! The writing was so smooth and comfortable to read that I could go on for hours without taking a break. Gone had always something new and unexpected happening that made me want to read more to get the answers I was so desperately craving. Towards the end I got a little worried because Michael Grant had created so much build-up throughout the book, so I wasn’t sure if the ending would live up to my expectations. I was a fool to worry. The ending was epic with loads of action and cool “superpower” moves. If you didn’t know already, I’m a huge fan of movies, TV shows and books that has something to do with people gifted with special abilities, so the ending got two big thumbs up from me.

Does a dystopian world filled with loads of action, adventure, a little bit of romance and people with really cool powers sound interesting to you? Then why are you wasting your time on my review when it is Gone by Michael Grant your eyes should be focusing on?!

RATING: 

No comments:

Post a Comment